Uniting Through Art

Welcome to my last action project for Rhetoric. In this unit, we looked at how people use rhetoric in public art to unite. We only went on one field experience this term: Marquette Park. We went there to look at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Living Memorial and the significance that the memorial has on the Marquette Park community. Throughout this unit, we talked about the events that led up to the American Revolution. While all these events were occurring, propaganda and public art were on the rise. Once the colonists in the colonies started to feel oppressed by the British, they started making art to humiliate the British to send a message. We also took a look at "how Cuban art fed Africa's liberation struggles". All these art pieces had one common goal: to unite. These historical art movements are what inspired this action project. I hope you enjoy it!

GR. "Burundi Bleeds". (2019)

Artist's Statement
I am a 17-year-old Burundian immigrant living in the United States. The issue I wanted to address in my artwork, as shown above, is the lack of attention paid to the citizens of Burundi by their government. The reason I chose this topic is that it is an issue that affects my family living in Burundi. The title of this art piece is “Burundi Bleeds” which is an example of alliteration because it repeats the letter B.

My artwork shows the beauty of Burundian people that the media fails to show. Usually, Burundians are displayed as helpless, however, that is a one-sided narrative. The purpose of my art piece is to flip the narrative, and show what Burundian people are really: optimistic for a better future for their country.

Ever feel disregarded when you are having a conversation with a friend and they pull out their phones and direct their attention to their phones and not to you? Well think of this issue like that, but instead of one person ignoring you, it is a whole government. Not very empowering right? Now you have a better sense of what Burundians are feeling in their own country.

In 2015, CNN came out with an article covering the political crisis of Burundi. A US Embassy responded to the conflict with the following statement, “‘Violent suppression of dissent and intimidation of citizens who have a right to protest peacefully is unacceptable in a nation that wishes to strengthen its democratic transition from a post-conflict society.’” This quote inspired my art piece because it represents what Burundi wishes to do but fails to. Earlier this year, this statement from the DW stated, "’ There is a climate of fear that permeates across the country because people have been told they will be punished if they speak with independent investigative bodies.’" This fear is the same fear that I am trying to break with my piece. This piece gives Burundians the voice they do not have. According to the Guardian, “Survivors warn that, as the violence spirals and rumors grow of opposition militias training in neighboring countries, a government fearful of losing its grip has resorted to the poisonous ethnic propaganda that fuelled the country’s past wars and the genocide in neighboring Rwanda. Yet the world doesn’t seem to have noticed.” This quote resonates with me because it proves the point that Burundian people are not only ignored by their government but the world as well

The medium I chose to express my message is a digital collage. I chose this medium because I wanted to use photographs to show that these are real people going through this. My reason for choosing this medium reflects the events occurring in Burundi and how the government ignores them. My art piece prevents the government from looking away because it is the visual and image of real Burundian people. To personalize this piece a bit, I incorporated a photo of myself and my best friend holding hands to symbolize unity. I chose to make the piece look fade to show that this to show that the Burundian people feel forgotten and unseen.

This piece would ideally be hung up in the new presidential palace in Gasenyi, Burundi. It would make the most sense for the piece to be hung up there to show the president and the politicians the faces and the lives they have been neglecting for years.

Works Cited

Deutsche Welle. “'Climate of Fear' Worsens in Burundi: DW: 25.09.2019.” DW.COM, www.dw.com/en/climate-of-fear-worsens-in-burundi/a-50579817.

Graham-Harrison, Emma. “The World Looks Away as Blood Flows in Burundi.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 10 Apr. 2016, www.theguardian.com/world/2016/apr/10/burundi-ethnic-violence-refugees.

Melvin, Don. “Burundi Protests Resume, Sparking International Worries.” CNN, Cable News Network, 6 May 2015, www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/world/burundi-protests/index.html.

Conclusion 
Rhetoric has been one of the most interesting courses I have taken here at GCE. Sadly, this is the last action project for this course and I think it was a great way to wrap up. This action project was a bit difficult for me because I am not the most artist. Art isn't my strongest suit, but I am glad I managed to complete this action project. If I could do this again, I would try a different medium to challenge myself even more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SDG2: Zero Hunger - Final Presentations

GR's Survival Guide to Becoming a Lawyer

Equitable Distribution of Wealth and Income