A Hero's Journey!

Welcome to the last Action Project of the Stories. Stories is a humanities course that the sophomores
of GCE Lab School take. There are 3 units in this course, and we just wrapped up our last unit of this
course. In this unit, we talked about Joseph Campbell's Monomyth-- the 12 stages of a hero's journey.
Those 12 stages are Call to Adventure, Refusal of Call, Supernatural Aid, Crossing 1st Threshold,
Belly of the Whale, Road of Trial, Meeting with the Goddess, Temptation, Atonement with the Father, Apostasis, Ultimate Boon, Refusal of Return, Magic Fight, Rescue from Without, Crossing Return Threshold, Master of Two Words, and Freedom to Live. For this action project our guiding question was, How do you analyze a hero? We were asked to compare 2 heroes. One fictional hero and one real life hero.
The heroes that I chose to talk about were my brother, Leandre and the Flash from the television series named The Flash. I chose the Flash as my fictional hero because he has all the qualities that make a hero. In my opinion, what makes a hero is that they have to be selfless, caring, kind, and courageous, the Flash fits that description. For my real life hero, I chose to talk about my brother because he was the first in my family to graduate. This makes him a hero because he inspired my whole family to do well in school. It was harder for him than it was for other students who were born in America that already spoken English. Below is an interview of him.



Transcript:


GR: What’s your name?
LN: Leandre Niyokwizera.

GR: When and where were you born?
LN:  I was born in Congo 1995.

GR: So did you come to the states?
LN: I got to the states in January 2008.

GR: So does that make you a refugee or an immigrant?
LN: I’m a refugee.

GR: So what your journey like coming here?
LN: It was different from what I was use to or accustomed to different culture different ethnicity.   

GR: What age did you come here?
LN: I was just turn 12 when I got here in America.

GR: What grade was that?
LN: They put me in 6th grade since my birthday was late so I had to do 6th grade again.

GR: Did you graduate high school?
LN: Yes I did graduate high school funny you mention that actually at GCE.

GR: Interesting. What were your your experience like in high school
LN: At GCE it was different than many other schools. Obviously I didn’t go to a public high school
but uh from what I’ve seen or heard from people
for an example, my brother went to a different high school it was very different in terms like its small
and the curriculum was also different as well.    

GR: Would you say that It was harder for you as as student would didn’t speak as much
English or have as much experiences as other students?
LN: I mean that’s the good thing too like it think it was gonna be harder for me if I went to a normal
or usually schooling system. At GCE it was smaller and I had a more one on one attention with teachers
so that's it was still hard but it was less harder from me I got more help I guess.

GR: What was your college experience like?
LN: My college experience was like I was the first to go into college in my whole
extensive family, so it was different. I didn’t have uh anybody to tell me this is how the recipe of success in terms of that but like I had advises in college um yeah it was fun. It’s challenging, fun, difficult transition I guess.   

GR: What advice would you say to students who are like you?
LN: Well uhh, just ask for help because that’s the only way you’re gonna get through anything really.
Just like be open minded with what learning uh especially if you don’t understand or know as much
English just like be open to accept feedback which is what I think GCE is about or was about when
I was going there so yeah.

GR: Alright, thank you for your time.
LN: No problem!


My Heroes:
Although my fictional hero, the Flash, is clearly different from my realistic hero, Leandre, they still have the same journey. The 12 stages of Campbell's Monomyth of hero is commonly seen in movies and in television shows. Although most heroes are different from one another, they all go through
these 12 stages. Below is a comparison of the journey's that my two heroes have been through.




all images are from:
The Flash. The CW. 2014-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SDG2: Zero Hunger - Final Presentations

GR's Survival Guide to Becoming a Lawyer

Equitable Distribution of Wealth and Income