Learn About ADHD

Welcome to my second action project for Disease. We just wrapped up our second unit called Mind. In Mind, we looked at the brain and focused different parts of the brain. Our main resource was the DMX-V file which is a textbook that has a long list of mental illnesses, including their symptoms. This book is often used by medical professionals when studying mental illnesses. To empathize with someone who has been diagnosed with schizophrenia, we took part in a simulation where we watched a video on what it's like to live with schizophrenia. For this action project, we did something similar to that. In this unit, we looked into different mental illnesses specially autism, schizophrenia, and we chose one that we wanted to research on our own. We looked deeply into autism and read a book by Naoki Nigashida called, The Reason I Jump. I chose to research attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I made a simulation and did a lot of research on what it's like to live with ADHD.

What Is ADHD?

ADHD stands for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. The scientific definition for ADHD is, "ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder defined by impairing levels of inattention, disorganization, and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity." My definition for ADHD is, "a mental disorder that is a combination of disorganization, inattention, hyperactivity/impulsivity and makes it difficult for someone to concentrate in areas like school or work. My definition was inspired by an interview that I conducted with a friend of mine who has been diagnosed with ADHD. “Chaotic is the first word that comes to mind when I think of ADHD. It's like your brains aren’t communicating with each other, one part of your brain is thinking about what you had for breakfast, and another is thinking about what your have to do that evening.” said MW. Some parts of the brain that are affected by ADHD are the frontal lobes, cortex, limbic system, and the reticular system. 

 3 criteria according to the DMX-V file for diagnosing ADHD:
A. Often fails to give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in schoolwork, at work, or during other activities (e.g., overlooks or misses details, work is inaccurate).
B. Often has difficulty sustaining attention in tasks or play activities (e.g., has difficulty remaining focused during lectures, conversations, or lengthy reading).
C. Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly (e.g., mind seems elsewhere, even in the absence of any obvious distraction)

How Can You Help?

GR. Flier for ADHD. (2019)


Empathize

We were required to make a simulation on our mental illness. Before we started we had to organize our plan for our simulation into a schedule. Below, is my lesson plan followed by my video.


GR. ADHD lesson plan. (2019)
After I made a lesson plan, I brought it to life. This is a video of my simulation:




How Does ADHD Affect The Brain?

Some parts of the brain that are affected by ADHD are the frontal lobes, cortex, limbic system, and the reticular system. The frontal lobe is located in the front part of the brain and is the part that helps with concentration and the ability to make decisions, remember, and learn. 

Graph It Out

I graphed what my classmate's brainwaves were like during my simulation. Then, I created functions for each point on my graph. Below, you'll find all the math I did.
GR. Piecewise Function. (2019)
GR. Brainwaves graph. (2019)
GR. Functions for F of X. (2019)

Overall, this project was difficult because there was so much that went into it. Even though it was complex, I still learned a lot about the mental illness that I decided to research. I think that the simulation was an effective way for people to empathize for people with different kinds of mental illnesses. If I had more time, I would have lead a group discussion like I planned to in my lesson plan.

Works Cited

1. Barkley, Russell. “Accept Them. Support Them. Have Their Backs.” 
ADDitude, ADDitude, 20 Apr. 2018, www.additudemag.com/support-a-loved-one-with-adhd/.
2. “Data and Statistics About ADHD | CDC.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html.

3.“Tips for Managing Adult ADHD.” HelpGuide.org, 11 Mar. 2019, www.helpguide.org/articles/add-adhd/managing-adult-adhd-attention-deficit-disorder.htm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SDG2: Zero Hunger - Final Presentations

GR's Survival Guide to Becoming a Lawyer

Equitable Distribution of Wealth and Income