Who's The Boss Now?

Welcome to my second action project of Population! This unit we focused on animals environment and habitat. In this unit we learned box and whisker plots, standard deviation, permutation and combinations, We recently we on two field experiences to the Field Museum and the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum. At the Field Museum, I was able to see a taxidermy of my animal which was really cool. I got to learn about taxidermy and how it's significant to science. Last action project, my organism was the African Painted Dog. For this action project I wanted to further my research on the African Painted Dog. Below is my continued research on the African Painted Dog. This time we went more in-depth on the environment of our organisms. Our guiding question was, How can you portray the evolution of a species?

Habitat:
African Painted Dog are mostly found in African plains such as, grasslands, open woodlands, and savannas. In the savanna there are two seasons, winter and summer. During the winter, it is very dry and in the summer there are heavy monsoon rains. The savanna is an open grassland area with scattered trees. Grass can grow to be 3 to 6 feet tall.
Tree Savanna Nature Africa Travel Landscape. Ronbd. Sept. 19, 2015.
Hypothetically, the preys of African Painted Dogs have migrated from the savannas and grasslands. African Painted Dogs no longer have food sources that they can rely on. The organisms left in the savannas are mainly predators of African Painted Dogs. Some immediate changes that I predict will happen to the African Painted Dogs are that they will which diets from carnivore to omnivore, their skin will become lighter to help blend into their habitat, and their teeth will become smaller since they won't eat meat. A disadvantage that the African Painted Dogs will experience is a decline in their population.       


GR. What the African Painted Dog will look 500 years from now. (2018)
That is an image of what I think the African Painted Dog will look like 500 years from now due to the hypothetical environment change.  


African Painted Dog:

Below is a population of African Painted Dogs that live in my hypothetical environment. Unfortunately, three out of nine of the population will survive.

African wild dog. Mathias Appel (7 February 2016, 11:01)
African painted dog, or African wild dog, Lycaon pictus at Savuti, Chobe National Park, Botswana. Keats, Derek. (24 December 2016, 11:07)


African Painted Dog. Swales, Nigel. (14 July 2012, 11:31)
African wild dog (Lycaon pictus pictus), Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, South Africa. Charles J Sharp (3 November 2014, 06:40:34)


African wild dog (Lycaon pictus pictus), Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, South Africa.  Charles J Sharp (3 November 2014, 06:26:11)


African wild dog (Lycaon pictus pictus), Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, South Africa.  Charles J Sharp (3 November 2014, 06:35:34)


African wild dog (Lycaon pictus pictus), Tswalu Kalahari Reserve, South Africa.  Charles J Sharp (3 November 2014, 06:42:51)


African Wild Dog (Lycaon pictus). Mosztics Attila. (3 March 2008)



African painted dog, or African wild dog, Lycaon pictus at Savuti, Chobe National Park, Botswana. Keats, Derek. (24 December 2016, 11:08)






Since only three out of my population of African Painted Dog will survive, I have predicted that the three in my slideshow will survive due to their characteristics that will allow them to adapt to this hypothetically environment of no prey.
Since only three out of my population of African Painted Dog will survive, I have predicted that the three in my slideshow will survive due to their characteristics that will allow them to adapt to this hypothetically environment of no prey.

  The Average Height of An African Painted Dog:


GR. weight of an adult wild dog. (2018)
I wanted to find the average weight of an adult African Painted Dog. I made up 9 different numbers to represent the weight of each African Painted Dog in my population. Below, I made a box and whisker plot. Before I did that, I had to find the mean, median, mode, range, maximum, minimum, first quartile, second quartile, and the inner quartile range of my data. The average weight of an adult African Painted Dog is 42.7 LBS.    
Gr. standard deviation. (2018)
Combination vs. Permutation
What is the difference between a combination and permutation? The difference between combination and permutation is ordering. When using permutations the order always matters which is the complete opposite of combinations. When using combinations the order never matters. For an example, lets say we are using a combination lock and the code is 1234. Instead of entering 1234 you enter 4321. It wouldn't open because the order matters therefore, its a permutation. In this case, it would be a combination. It doesn't matter the order of the African Painted Dog because 3 out of the whole population will survive. Since the order doesn't matter that makes it a combination.

Combination:
GR. combination. (2018) 
Permutation:
GR. permutation. (2018)

Relatives Of the African Painted Dog

                                                   Alive relative: Dhole                                                    
The similarities and differences between African Painted Dogs and Dholes: 
      



Extinct relative: Xenocyon
Canis cf falconeri.JPG
This is the extinct ancestor of the African Painted Dog. 

I really enjoyed this action project! I was definitely one of my favorites. I really like how I got to learn more about my organism. It was cool to me how we got to dive into the future and make up a story. This project really tied in with my other class called Stories. If I had to do this again I would draw a better picture of I predicted my organism would look like 500 years from now. I hope this project inspired you to research an organism and possibly make a story out of it! 

Citations:
1. https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/african-wild-dog, (June 27, 2018)
2. JOEL SARTORE, https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/a/african-wild-dog/, (2015)
3. https://www.awf.org/wildlife-conservation/african-wild-dog, (2013)
4. https://africageographic.com/blog/10-interesting-facts-african-wild-dogs/, (2011)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SDG2: Zero Hunger - Final Presentations

GR's Survival Guide to Becoming a Lawyer

Equitable Distribution of Wealth and Income